With Halloween right around the corner, it’s important to remember that Trick or Treat time can be a spooky for your teeth — especially if you’ve got braces or other orthodontic appliances.
BUT DON’T FEAR — there’s plenty of treats that ghosts and goblins can enjoy and we’ve listed them below. Plus, we’ve got some tricks to help keep your mouth healthy.
Treats that are SCARY for those with braces
- Taffy applies
- Hard candy
- Chewy candy
- Bubble gum
- Sour candy
TREAT yourself with these!
- Chocolate (without caramel or nuts)
- Peanut butter cups
- 3 Musketeers
- Soft cookies (without nuts)
Tricks for your Teeth
- Sugary treats and drinks are okay in moderation, but can be scary for your teeth. Accumulation of these treats around your braces can lead to decalcification (permanent white marks on your teeth), cavities or gum disease.
- Be sure to brush and floss after you enjoy your treats – especially around the brackets and the gumline.
- Drink lots of water while enjoying your treats. It will help flush out the sugar and debris.
- Consider having healthy treats on hand as a substitute for the off-limit ones. Goodies like smoothies, cut up fruit and frozen yogurt can fix the sweet-tooth without hurting your appliances.
Associated Orthodontists has locations in Joliet, Plainfield, Morris, Frankfort, New Lenox and Bourbonnais, and offers state-of-the-art products like Damon® System Braces and Invisalign® — plus Complimentary Consultations and observation appointments at all locations. Our friendly team will verify your insurance and create a customized interest-free payment plan. To schedule your complimentary consultation, or to find the Associated Orthodontist location near you, please visit greatbraces.com.