With Halloween right around the corner, let’s take a look at some brace-friendly treats that our ghouls and goblins can enjoy… and those treats that will create a nightmare for your teeth. Plus, we’ve got some tricks to help keep your mouth healthy during this spooky season.
Try These Brace-Friendly Treats
- SOFT treats like plain chocolates, peanut butter cups, and others that melt in your mouth.
- Trade the candies for sweet beverages like hot chocolate, root beer floats or warm apple cider.
Avoid the Nightmare and Stay Away from These
- Sticky, chewy or crunchy foods such as caramel, taffy, gummies and hard-shelled candies.
- Hard treats such as candy apples, nuts, lollipops and popcorn balls.
Tricks for your Teeth
- Sugary treats and drinks are okay in moderation, but can be scary for your teeth. Be sure to brush and floss after you enjoy your treats – especially around the brackets and the gumline.
- Drink lots of water while enjoying your treats. It will help flush out the sugar and debris.
- Consider having healthy treats on hand as a substitute for the off-limit ones. Goodies like smoothies, cut up fruit and frozen yogurt can fix the sweet-tooth without hurting your appliances.