Associated Orthodontists, together with the American Association of Orthodontists, American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons, American Academy of Pediatric Dentistry, Academy for Sports Dentistry and American Dental Association, is recognizing National Facial Protection Month. Each year, the month of April is dedicated to educating parents, patients and the community about the importance of mouth guard and helmet use.
“Mouth guards are one of the easiest and least expensive pieces of protective gear available for those playing contact and non-contact sports,” said Dr. Scott Soderquist, Partner with Associated Orthodontists. “The use of a mouth guard can dramatically reduce injuries to the teeth and jaw, plus help avoid costly medical expenses.”
Mouth Guard Facts
- Wearing a properly fitted mouth guard reduces the chance of even the most common dental injury by up to 60 times.
- Wearing braces? See your orthodontist for a mouth guard specifically for brace-wearers.
- The cost to restore a single tooth is estimated at $10,000 – $20,000.
- 58% of parents report their child suffered a mouth injury while playing sports.
- 65% of parents report that when their child suffered a mouth injury, they were NOT wearing a mouth guard.
- 67% of parents admitted their children do not wear mouth guards when playing sports.
- Mouth guards are not just for contact or organized sports, and should be worn any time the mouth could come into contact with a ball, hard object, another player or the pavement.
- Use of a mouth guard should be combined with a helmet specific to the sport or activity.
Associated Orthodontists has five convenient locations in Joliet, Plainfield, Morris, Frankfort and Bourbonnais. Please visit greatbraces.com to find a location near you, and to schedule your complimentary consultation.
About Associated Orthodontists
Since 1969, Associated Orthodontists has been providing patients with care that is focused on wellness, satisfaction and perfection. With cutting-edge treatments and extraordinary outcomes, its team of highly trained orthodontists are committed to creating a customized, stress-free and rewarding experience for patients and families. The partners at Associated Orthodontists include the most experienced board certified and renowned orthodontists in the area, committed to improving smiles and making a positive impact in the communities they serve. For more information on Associated Orthodontists, including services and locations, please visit greatbraces.com.
Related Articles and Tips: